Ten steps to a positive body image
One simple list cannot automatically make you turn negative body thoughts into positive body image, but it can introduce you to healthier ways of looking at yourself and your body. The more you practice these new thought patterns, the better you will feel about who you are and the body you naturally have. Everyone is different and this is what makes us unique.
1. Appreciate all that your body can do.
2. Keep a top-ten list of things you like about yourself.
3. Remind yourself that “real beauty” is not simply skin-deep.
4. Look at yourself as a whole person, not just body parts.
5. Surround yourself with positive people
6. Shut down those voices in your head that tell you your body is not “right” or “perfect”.
7. Wear clothes that are comfortable.
8. Become a discerning and critical viewer of social and media messages.
9. Do something nice for yourself
10. Use the time and energy that you might have spent worrying about food, calories, image and your weight to do something to help others.
The Feelings Wheel
This circle provides some more emotional words you can say in place of intellectual ones. Here's how it works - when a feeling starts to arise, look at the wheel, start with the inner-most wheel and move outward, moving from the core feelings toward any associated feelings that you might be experiencing.
Panic attacks and how to stop them
The Body Image Continuum
Where do you think you are the Body Image Continuum?